Sunday, February 28, 2010

I know I'll definitely miss her food!

As I mentioned in my previous post, we have two new guests from Malaysia coming to Davis. It has been almost a month since their arrival and we have been 'stuffed' with Malaysian food ever since :)

It started from me giving a 'tupperware' bihun goreng after realising that they have to 'samak' the entire kitchen because of the former tenant who came from 'Tanah Besar' and the smell of her house that was really weird. Feeling so guilty because I was the one that chose the house for them so I decided to make bihun goreng
(not that it won't change any single thing :( ).

Two days later, they came to our house dropping off my tupperware filled with 'Laksa Johor'. I've never eaten Laksa Johor before, and oh gosh, it was super delicious! Then, came the weekend, we brought them for groceries shopping and kakak brought karipap ayam for us to eat in the car. I was really amazed kakak can really cook very well! (of course la aku je yang tak tau masak. Hahahaha)

Anyway, I invited them for a dinner on one Friday night. Me being me, I cooked the most simple and fastest dish I can cook, nasi ayam. Kakak & her husband came with something too, ikan salmon goreng cicah potato. I was repeatingly asking kakak the recipe cos it was really tasty, and kakak kept saying she just marinade with some kunyit and deep fried the fish. OMG, how I wish I could cook something simple like that and still taste that good!

This week, I was super occupied with work and had no time to cook for dinner. Jai texted me while I was at work saying " Yea, yea, dapat murtabak" I was like where the hell he got the murtabak from? Well, I came home and found a piece of murtabak was on the table with a 'tupperware' of kari udang.And murtabak nih tak pakai kulit popiah okeh, kakak made it from scratch.



That was the only food I manage to snap all these while cos selalunye memang kena terus 'ngap'. Yesterday, we went for our monthly grocery shopping again with kakak and her husband. I have a poster presentation that morning so we could only bertolak after lunch.  I was telling my husband to remind them not to have  lunch at home cos we gonna eat at a Pakistani restaurant. But they invited us for lunch at their house! And you know what kakak cooked for us? Nasi Beriyani + Ayam Masak Merah + Daging Kurma+ Udang Goreng Tempura and Kobis masak Telur. Jai tambah sampai 3 pinggan!


And last night, before we went off to bed, Jai was asking me, "Kenapa dorang kena balik. Tak boleh ke dorang duk sini terus?" I was laughing hysterically hearing his statement. Oh, poor hubby, rindu dekat makanan Malaysia. Well, kakak is actually an associate professor at USM, so she has to leave by the end of June :(  I couldn't agree more with Jai! I'll definitely miss her cook.

2 comments:

Ai de Alice said...

indahnya dengar pasal makanan2 tu. and they sound like a really great couple.

Farina said...

Aira:

Yep, I would like to describe them
"a very laidback couple". Umur dah 40++ tapi sempoi je. They just arrived less than a month tapi dah travel pergi San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, Napa Valley etc. Very adventurous too!