Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Terrorism and Islam are two different things

A couple of days ago, I read an article written by Sharjeel Kashmir about how the perception on Islam changed after 9/11. I quote some of interesting paragraphs on his article:

"When I first moved here, I felt welcomed. I was truly impressed by the fact that America gave me as an immigrant the same opportunities it did to its own citizens. Today, that is still largely the case, unless your name is Mohammad or if you choose to wear the hijab."

"Some people have clearly decided that 9/11 gives them the right to persecute Muslims. And as a result, we are all collectively paying for the sins of terrorists -- a radical, crazy few who just happen to share the same religious background."
Sharjeel Kashmir explained everything I had in mind when I first set my foot in the US. I tried to convince my husband that people were looking at me differently, but he didn't really pay attention to my complaints saying I was just being paranoid. Until the incident in Seattle.

Then, another article appeared in the CNN about Islamophobia, the author, a Muslim who happened to be an international human rights lawyer. Then, I realized why was the first article written. It was all because the so-called 'Ground Zero' mosque which I thought already down-the-memory lane.

First, it was unfair to describe the mosque as a 'Ground Zero' mosque as it was not going to be built on the site where the World Trade Center collapsed.

Second, the site where they proposed to build the mosque is a private property.

Third, this issue has turned political and the politicians has taken this issue as an advantage to bash Obama and his administration.

Fourth, the news of plan to build this mosque was out publicly in Dec 2009. No one had any issue with it. In May 2010, the issue was being debated again and one website started calling it as a 'Ground Zero' mosque and now, it was being made as a political debate during the holy month of Ramadhan.


I felt obligated to write this entry just because I had heard enough of the allegations against Islam which was not true and I'm sick of it.



First, Bryan Fischer mentioned that "Permits should not be granted to build even one more mosque in the United States of America, let alone the monstrosity planned for Ground Zero. This is for one simple reason: each Islamic mosque is dedicated to the overthrow of the American government.”  He is a spokeperson for American Family Association and he graduated from Stanford University. Listening to him trying to convey the message about Christian is the religion of peace but not Islam was not surprising at all, knowing he was a pastor. However, to persecute other religion is a really terrible thing to start of.

Second, Pamela Geller, a right-wing activist who was invited in today's CNN: Anderson Cooper. Her extreme views on Islam was really obvious when she said it is the tradition in Islam to build a mosque at the place they conquered to acknowledge their victory.


When I said  "Shallow Americans", these are the people I was referring to.

As what I recalled from the movie: My name is Khan " Being a Muslim is not a bad thing"
 
Please make your own judgments.

P/S: If you want to read full article  by Sharjeel Kashmir and Arsalan Iftikhar, please click HERE and HERE


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, farina, i don't even... "each Islamic mosque is dedicated to the overthrow of the American government" --> what a view! as if americans matters the most... they don't. how come so big headed to think everything is about them. i think they have bigger problems (self insecurities etc) to think about.

all the best to you in pursuing your studies in the thick of things!

Farina said...

America always regard themselves the world cop but the world always know their hidden agenda behind every attack/allegation they made to other country. Hope someday the economy will be conquer by some other country, then America won't be so big-headed as they used to be.

Anyway,thank you for dropping by!

LeLa said...

Farina, i know how u feel...kaksue gi abroad for a few months for working pon, i felt the heat...lagi la kita pakai tudung...

just take care k! kdg2 ada yang sangat extreme..but then, Allah protects you my dear!

Farina said...

Thank you k.sue. I'm glad someone knows how I feel. Insya-allah, tuhan akan tunjukkan mereka ke jalan yang benar.