Sunday, September 19, 2010

Of becoming pregnant

I know right off that I wanna have a baby before I complete my Ph.D. Reason being, I will be 30 years old when I graduate, it's too old for me for a first baby. The next question: When?

After my first unplanned pregnancy in which I had some complications, it got me thinking. I should start thinking of the future.
So, I started my first discussion with Jai middle last year. At first, I thought Winter 2010 (December) will be a good time for me to deliver a baby as I will have a month break. But, I will be heavily pregnant if I were taking my exam in the summer. Jai was afraid I couldn't handle the stress of studying, plus being pregnant and he will be not around  to help me like last year since he is already working. He was right. A week before my exam, I started to get morning sickness and I couldn't study cos I was really sick. Thank goodness, I have prepared myself for 2 months, it didn't affect me much.

We postponed our plan to conceive til August this year as I will be delivering the baby early summer and will have the rest of summer adapting to a new life and going back to Malaysia as well (weeee!). If Allah didn't granted us the chance in August, we still have 3 months to try. Plus, I don't have to file for a planned educational leave program (PELP) since I don't have to register for research unit during summer. Not that I know my supervisor will force me to file a leave but just to be on the safe side cos if I filed for a leave, then it might affect the Malaysian scholarship as well. See, being a graduate student is complicated!

I did the best as I could to maximize the chance to conceive. Eating good food, taking prenatal supplement a month before conceiving, didn't bike to school and BBT charting, of course! When I had the first negative result on the pee stick, I was disappointed but Jai convinced me, there will be always next month to try. But I didn't stop praying, praying to Allah, he will give me another chance. 4 days later, the day I should get my menses, I was feeling unusually tired. After performing Asar prayer, I went ahead to use another pee stick and this time it was positive. Tears started to run down my cheek cos I couldn't believe Allah granted me my wishes. It was 13th Ramadan. Indeed, it was a Ramadan's blessing :) 

Jai was still at work but when he came home 2 hours later, I put this piece of notification in front of our door.


He didn't believe it either cos he thought once negative, it will be true negative. So we waited for several days before repeating the test. Got the same result, and the next day we went to Student Health to confirm the pregnancy and ask for a referral. It was the day before my birthday and I got an early present this year as the doctor confirmed my pregnancy :) The next step we did was breaking the news to families and closest friends. Well, Jai got ahead of me by telling our Davis' friends of my pregnancy. He even tell some random guy he bought his paintball equipment from about my pregnancy. I could tell he is excited to become a daddy. 

So, that's my story. Although I'm having a bad morning sickness, as a friend pointed out, it is a blessing in disguise. The hCG level is rising to sustain the pregnancy and that is a good sign. I'm hoping it will disappear by second trimester and I promised myself and my baby to eat healthy and providing him or her as much nutrient as possible *fingers crossed*

As for gender preference, I wanna a Jai Jr. and he wanna a Farina Jr. Mana2 pun tak kisah, as long as the baby is born healthy and sempurna tubuh badan.

Oh, please email me your Gmail email address to get access to my experience of doing a BBT charting. fina_vet@yahoo.com.

See you guys soon!


18 comments:

Ai said...

hi babe,

congrats again. i saw that you've made an official announcement and i just smiled from afar. sukanyaaaa! tak sabar nk dtg May/June nanti, probably lepas my first session summer class.

TC to the both of u!

Wana said...

hola... congratulations for both of the good news.. welcome to the preggy world... hurm.. nk tanye skit, klu pregnant & baru nk start PhD in US bole ke? Wana due early March and intended to start for Spring semester. SV tak tau lagi... hehehe..

Farina said...

Aira: Thank you Ai! Datanglah, I don't know yet bile I nak balik Mesia, either lepas habis pantang ie: June or raya. But I'll let you know as soon as we make the decision.

Wana: Congratulations! It depends on individual.. Ramai cakap the best year to conceive is the third year of Ph.D but kalau leh handle and organize masa, bile2 pun boleh. Insya-allah, Allah permudahkan jalan untuk Wana.

ZaritH said...

akak..
i can feel your excitement!!!
kalau nak wish come true kenalah deliver twin..sorg Jai Jr sorg lg Farina Jr.. baru adil.. hihi

shila ariff said...

tahniah...aku baca setiap penulisan ko ni..penuh dgn gambaran kegembiraan...semoga 'mommy to be' sentiasa diberkatiNya..amin...insyaAllah, ko boleh overcome all the stress..coz ini adalah ketentuan & rezeki dariNya..of coz le, Dia tahu yg ko pasti blh lakukan...

Farina said...

Zarith: Nak gak twin, tapi ultrasound ada sorang jek :)

Shila: Thank you shila. Thank you banyak2 sebab share banyak info dengan aku. Kalau ade ape2 aku email ko ek :)

Unknown said...

Congrats Farina - on your latest one that you passed and definitely a big congratulations to you and hubby for the good news of being preggie....

Take a really good care of yourself yeah. Semoga diberkati Allah SWT selalu...

Farina said...

Nisya:

Thank you for the wishes and du'a. Amin =)

h-huda said...

C.O.N.G.R.A.T.U.L.A.T.I.O.N.S!!!!!!!
Take care babe!

MuNie said...

Your friend is so right to say about the morning sickness..it is indeed a blessing in disguise..though i had a tough time during my first trimester, but Allah granted me with a smooth delivery..i heard ppl having to wait for more than 12 hours to deliver their babies, but for me, it took less than 4 hours..alhamdulillah..:)
All the best to you!take care.

nana ritzal said...

farina!!! congrats to both you and jai.. u guys will be awesone parents :)take care ek..

Farina said...

Huda: T.H.A.N.K Y.O.U! Semangat menaip :)

Munie: Yep, I second that. Tuhan itu Maha Adil. Hopefully, dapat labor experience cam ko :)

Nana: Thank you Nana! Hope to see you bila aku balik Mesia nanti.

LeLa said...

farina - congrats! both on exam and especially on ur next litle junior....

kak sue - xgerik! in case uve forgottten :)

Farina said...

Kak Sue!

Ingat, ingat.. Kak Suharti.. Hari tuh ade comment gak kan, tapi tak sure sebab tengok blog kak sue takde gambar. Anyway, thank you! Hope to meet you again one day =)

~aboto~ said...

farina dearie,

congrats!
am sorry for the late wish sebab baru skang ader masa nak blog-hop.. enjoy your motherhood journey ya..

Farina said...

Thank you Abot! Mane abot menghilang? Bukaklah balik blog ;( Huhuhu

Unknown said...

slm farina

sori lewat nk say congrats 2 u.
jg kesihatan utk u + baby =)

Farina said...

salam..

Terima kasih banyak2. Doa-doakan juga ye :)