Friday, January 7, 2011

Homeless. No more.

Haish, my life these few days has been in topsy-turvy situation. Tired and I couldn't concentrate with work. Buat keja kejap pastuh Jai call suh pi tengok rumah. Asyik bukak craigslist setiap 5 minit tengok housing listing. The same thing went over and over again.

And finally today, we have secured an apartment. The 900 sq. ft. apartment with large backyard. (Hint: MASA people, good place for outdoor event *wink*)

We went to view the unit last Tuesday. We agreed this place is a steal. There's no way anyone could get a 900 sq. feet, 2 bed/1 bath for that price in Davis. The average will be between $1000-1200/month, with the exception of my current house. But.. but... my current house is 594 sq. feet, tiny but enough for the two of us. Only that, it will last for another 3 months. Then, pops the baby, this house will no longer fit us three. We couldn't even fit a baby crib into our 2nd bedroom. Our bedroom jangan cakaplah, leh letak bassinet je kot. Jai will either have to sacrifice his desk or we have to give our sofa-bed away. So, where does my mom or other visiting guests has to sleep? It will be either living room or on the floor cramming with the baby crib.

This was why we decided to move-out. The timing is probably not so good, considering that I am pregnant but it has to happen when it has to be. 

And this is our first time dealing with a landlord himself rather than a manager of some apartment complex. Initially, we backed out from signing the lease with him cos he wanted the last-month rent on top of security deposit. But after searching for another apartment(s) where we had to deal with realtors yang sangat busy dan selalu tak datang bila schedule appointment, we finally agreed to call the landlord/Uncle Roger negotiating with him the date of move-in.

Jai met him this morning and had a heart-to-heart talk with him. Oh no, bukan Jai yang meluahkan perasaan. It's the uncle. He spent one-hour with him, telling stories about his wife who died of ovarian cancer etc. He brought all the application forms from other applicants to prove that the house was on demand, but he still wanted us to become his tenants because he likes us. 

"I like your wife, she is nice and resembles my wife", so Jai told me what he said. It might sound pretty scary, plus I don't look like a Chinese in any ways but my eyes started filling up with tears.  Jai yang jiwa kental pun cakap dia nak nangis dengar cite uncle tuh. Kalau dia tipu, tak tahulah. Takut esok lusa pegi Farmer's Market nampak elok je dia dengan wife dia kan. Hahaha. But I did google the place and saw someone posted about the landlord and mentioned he was a friendly and nice person. And from our meeting, I couldn't agree more of what the previous tenant said.

Alhamdulillah, baby F lepas nih boleh merangkak atas carpet ;)

And Rocky no longer need to climb chair. He gained his freedom finally (although he might misses his Rockiah)



So, here I am. Ready to move-out in 21 days. The clock starts ticking now.



7 comments:

OneDropH20 said...

Congratz!

LOL. When I read 'heart to heart talk' I immediately thought it was Jai who was being very sentimental and telling the landlord that "eh please la brother, if you don't give me this place, my wife would nag me till death, and she is pregnant now...very susah...'
but I guess it was the other way round.

so you not saying where you place is...and didn't mention price pun. I guess not going public is it? nevermind, next time I return to UCDavis I will check out your place.

Funny pic of Rocky!

Farina said...

Hahaha. I know everyone must be thinking the same too. I told him the first day we met, the reason we were looking for a bigger house was because the baby. I guess that's why he didn't throw us out from the picture after we backed out.

Anyway, can't tell the location lah, but definitely I could no longer bike to school. And you need to come and witness the house yourself =) The price is OP rent+130.

Yaniey said...

you know what farina, sama lah citer kita. Masa nk cari rumah kat utrecht sangat2 susah. susah giler.. tapi finally jumpa landlord yg baik hati, yg nak sgt2 kami duk umah dia sbb katanya dia nak tolong. Dia pun citer gak pasal family dia. Dia ambikkan due dn ain di airport, dia bawak g ikea, dia dtg umah makan2, dia dtg my grad day.. dia faham bila kita takdek duit nk byr sewa dn byr lewat. As long as landlord baik hati, hati pun gembira. Leh fokus baby n study.. that is the most important!

Yoong Fei Yian said...

Yeay!! New location for MASA future eventS!! 21 more days? I better start prepping my biceps to help you move stuff. Hit us all an email when you guys are ready.

Farina said...

Kak Yani:

Landlord macam tuh susah nak jumpa kan. Sini memang jarang jumpa rumah yang landlord handle sendiri, kebanyakan agent or apartment manager. So,cam bersyukur sangat jumpa landlord yang senang nak negotiate.2 kali jumpa dia belanja kami minum. Mesti kak yani sedih kena tinggalkan rumah tuh kan :(

Yoong: Hehe.. leave the moving part to the guys. You can prep your biceps to scrub my oven instead :P

Melissa Imran said...

1) people always say, rezeki anak. Now, I do understand the piece of it hehe

2) Hope the move in will sail smoothly. Sian pulak mendengarnya, time2 mcm separa sarat nk berpindah. Harap anda hanya perlu jadi Supervisor saje hehe

3) Kami tak dpt lagi elaun, boleh?

Farina said...

Lisa:

Of courselah saya jadi supervisor, tukang tunjuk je. Bab loading and unloading lah, part packing and unpacking tuh kena jadi SV n kuli gak. Ish, lambat sangat dah elaun awak nih lisa.Memang hilang dalam mail kot,call UPM suh dorang wire teruslah.