A friend posted this video on Facebook: How's Muslim treated in America? She cried watching this video, so did I.
Too bad. Over 50% chose to do nothing. But this is the truth.. the ugly truth. Those Americans need someone to educate them about the First Amendment.
3 comments:
Yoong
said...
You made it sound so dramatic. This is only a small experiment on a small sample size. They should replicate it in different places especially cities. At least 13 people stood up for that girl versus 6 went against her. Over 50% said nothing, but that does not mean they agreed with the guy. It is kind of hard to say something in this kind of situation at times. Different people have different values. Racism occurs to minorities everywhere, even in Malaysia.
Yoong: Hmm, at which part did I make this post sounds dramatic? Crying part? Did not intend to make it dramatic though, I cried because I had the same experience. Tell you what, if they repeat the same experiment at different states, I could guess what is the outcome. The states that have lesser minorities such as those in the Midwest will have more people supporting the bakery guy, even less people will stand up for the Muslims girl. But it will be vice versa with states like us. I travelled to only few states but I already feel the heat, most probably because I'm wearing a hijab. Like what I said to Jai, unless you are wearing a hijab, you would not understand. People often thought jai is a chicano rather than a Muslim. Hahaha.
I agree that 50% is hard to judge but if this happened to us, do we want to act like that 50% too? Living here in the US made me value different cultures and races back home, don't know about others.
Those people who discriminate against Muslims in the Midwest also discriminate other races. To them, Americans = white Caucasian. I'd never guess the outcome until I see results of the experiments. I can somewhat agree with your predicted outcome. Also, I agree with you that you have to wear hijab to understand this. Adilla and I had such conversation before. She used to be scared too. I think being more aware and cautious are better than being paranoid. Not saying you are paranoid. The whole discrimination thing can be worse than what the girl in the video has been experiencing if you aware of what's happening in Europe and other parts of the world. Discrimination happens everywhere. To me, as long as you are a minority in a place, there tends to be discrimination on you. People always have hard time accepting others who are different from them. In the case of Muslims, it is the wars and 911 event that created that negative sentiment among Americans towards Muslims.
3 comments:
You made it sound so dramatic. This is only a small experiment on a small sample size. They should replicate it in different places especially cities. At least 13 people stood up for that girl versus 6 went against her. Over 50% said nothing, but that does not mean they agreed with the guy. It is kind of hard to say something in this kind of situation at times. Different people have different values. Racism occurs to minorities everywhere, even in Malaysia.
Yoong: Hmm, at which part did I make this post sounds dramatic? Crying part? Did not intend to make it dramatic though, I cried because I had the same experience.
Tell you what, if they repeat the same experiment at different states, I could guess what is the outcome. The states that have lesser minorities such as those in the Midwest will have more people supporting the bakery guy, even less people will stand up for the Muslims girl. But it will be vice versa with states like us. I travelled to only few states but I already feel the heat, most probably because I'm wearing a hijab. Like what I said to Jai, unless you are wearing a hijab, you would not understand. People often thought jai is a chicano rather than a Muslim. Hahaha.
I agree that 50% is hard to judge but if this happened to us, do we want to act like that 50% too? Living here in the US made me value different cultures and races back home, don't know about others.
Those people who discriminate against Muslims in the Midwest also discriminate other races. To them, Americans = white Caucasian. I'd never guess the outcome until I see results of the experiments. I can somewhat agree with your predicted outcome. Also, I agree with you that you have to wear hijab to understand this. Adilla and I had such conversation before. She used to be scared too. I think being more aware and cautious are better than being paranoid. Not saying you are paranoid. The whole discrimination thing can be worse than what the girl in the video has been experiencing if you aware of what's happening in Europe and other parts of the world. Discrimination happens everywhere. To me, as long as you are a minority in a place, there tends to be discrimination on you. People always have hard time accepting others who are different from them. In the case of Muslims, it is the wars and 911 event that created that negative sentiment among Americans towards Muslims.
Post a Comment