Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The interview with Daim

Read the interview of Tun Daim Zainuddin with the NST. I am posting two of the questions right here because the answers are interesting.

Question: So, for you, being critical does not mean one is anti-establishment. Are you also saying that the pattern of voicing out may not necessarily cost Barisan Nasional votes?
Answer: Precisely. That is my central argument. I have always advocated a robust debate. Over the years, I personally do find certain policies objectionable, but I am still a supporter of the government as there are more good policies than bad.
For the rest of the nation, if you disagree with government policies, yes, go ahead and criticise, but constructively. I would fear more for the country if people gave up and didn't care. I believe that it is only when you care that you want things to be for the better, that you voice out. A passive passionless society will be a disaster for the country.

Question: Personally, do you want to see Najib win this election? 
Answer: If you ask me, between the two, Najib or Anwar, I would choose Najib. I will give Najib the chance. Give him the mandate and see whether he delivers because Anwar has had his chances, but he blew them. I want Najib to win because I don't think Anwar is the right candidate to be prime minister. I believe he will mess up the country by getting advice from the likes of the IMF (International Monetary Fund), World Bank and Wolfowitz (Paul Wolfowitz, former World Bank president). I will support Najib, but he must fight corruption and crime, strengthen the nation's security and review the education system. Make English compulsory in all national schools. Without English, we are dead, especially the Malays. The Malays must realise, without English they cannot compete. We must insist on English as a second language. It was not a mistake to change the medium of instruction from English to Bahasa Malaysia. It is the language of the nation and of unity. If we don't speak the same language, how do we understand one another? The mistake was in the policies which were to promote Bahasa Malaysia, it had to be at the expense of English. We should not have to kill English to make Bahasa Malaysia the lingua franca of the country. If possible, we should learn Arabic, because the rich Arab countries will be where the money comes from. On the nation's security, every day in the media and on television, there are news reports of murder and crime. You say our country is safe, but if people don't feel safe, they will not believe you regardless of the statistics. On corruption, tell the rakyat that the government is serious in wanting to get rid of it. But it cannot do it alone, it needs the rakyat's help. Raise the awareness of rakyat on the evils of corruption and get schools involved in it. Educate the students. If the government and rakyat work together, we can succeed. It is a two-way thing. The government alone cannot fight corruption. People must be clean and honest. Don't just blame the government. Tepuk sebelah tangan tak berbunyi. If people are honest and clean, the government, too, can be clean. The government must come down strongly on those who are corrupt.

Click at Part 1 and Part 2 to read more on the interview. 


Tun Daim is the former Finance Minister from 1984-1991 and he became Finance Minister twice. The second time was during our 1997 economic crisis when Tun Mahathir brought him back into the cabinet to assist him in saving Malaysia's economy. He is one of the richest man in the country but most of his assets I presumed are based overseas. His son just got married at Kensington Palace, mind you. Anyway, the point is I think his opinions are mainly due to his own, not influenced by money. Reading the interview, I can gather that his support for Najib is purely due to economic benefits of the country but I am glad that he does see what other people see as problems occuring in our country, the corruptions, security and safetyness among other things. On the other hand, I do think we have a stronger opposition compared to 15 years back which means the current government can no longer sit tight and do nothing. For eg: I observed a gradual decrease of car prices in Malaysia (the newer model) after the opposition launches their 'turunkan harga kereta' manifesto. Who would have imagined kan the government would do all this after years and years protecting Proton's car prices :p But I am glad they did cos I sure need to buy a new car this year. Haha. We need healthy competition people! Kalau tidak sampai bila lah tingkap kereta Proton asyik rosak aje kannn.

Well, I doubt I will be casting my vote this year, unless the election is after mid-June. (I'm coming back for good mid June, yeay!!). But those in Malaysia, pesanan khidmat masyarakat dari saya, don't forget to vote!







1 comment:

Unknown said...

will definitely vote! hehe *semangat*