Friday, January 8, 2010

May 13th, same issue over and over again..


I've been wanting to write a review about this book weeks ago but haven't had time until I read the recent issue of fire-bombed churches in Malaysia.



At first, I was skeptical about the facts presented in this book, facts that pointing out Chinese was the majority that were killed and discriminated during May 13th incident. Plus, it was written by a Chinese. Anyway, I was reading the book side by side with Jai (who was reading Zaid Ibrahim's, Saya Pun Melayu) and being skeptical, I uttered the reliability of the facts presented by this book. To my surprise, he said his atuk/my grandpa-in-law was a policeman at that time and was instructed not to leave the police station during this incident. How could they? People were on killing spree but the police were instructed by the higher orders to stay put. Guess who was the predators? The Malays!

I'm not writing this to blame the Malays, my own race but merely to raise a point for us not to just rely on the history lesson we learned in secondary school. I hated my Chinese friends back at school when I knew they did not have the courtesy to share us the senior's past year exams, but after I gotten to know them better, they were all nice and friendly. I knew some of the Chinese/Indians who didn't have friends from opposite races must have the same feeling too. The hatred among us were cultivated way before I was born and along the years, some of us has learned the way to accept and tolerate the multicultural diversity. But there were also among us being egocentric racist who like to create chaos in their own beloved country and spread their evil agenda to those who naive about the nature of politics. I don't want to put in words here who was rumored to be behind the May13th incident as it involved a person who most of us highly respect his contributions, but if it were true, it would bring disgrace to the Malays.

I'm not going to write comments about the church issue. Although being disagree about the court ruling on Allah issue, performing 5x prayers a day doesn't mean I'm qualified to talk about Islam. Those people who fire-bombed the churches? They were morons who thought they served justice to Islam, but they actually  ruined the image of Islam.

7 comments:

Ai de Alice said...

i baca utusan feed today, and was stumped pasal isu bakar church tu.

i was like - why do i felt like the racism in msia is getting worst since i left?

the election was the year before kte dtg sini (2007), first time in hw many years ntah BN menang majority mudah - and i sgt ingat Dr Mahathir nyer comment, for a party to rule a multi-racial country on majority mudah, it's actually a weak ruling. i think the signs start to get apparent day by day. dulu, isu kepala lembu tu. now this plak.

Farina said...

Ai,

First of all, I'm surprised to have people commented on my writing about politics cos it is the least interesting piece of info written on my blog.

Anyway, the May 13th incident was 'purposely' planned to teach a lesson to those non-Malays who voted for the opposition in 1969 election when BN won the majority mudah (ie: only BN can bring all races together in harmony), at least that is what the book says. But we were told it was started by the opposition who provocatively marched around KL after the election. I'm not sure about the hidden agenda behind the current issue (kepala lembu, churches), but I'm assuring you they are always one and it surely involves politics.

Ai de Alice said...

dear farina,

i believe it's not the least interesting piece - cuma many of us mcm speechless on the best way to respond back. and mainly sebab byk facts jugak yg kte tak tau kan (naturally hidden).

maner u dapat buku tu babe? nie buat i rasa nak baca jugak. and u knw, u said the exact same thing mcm parie cakap - the incidents semua ader connection to politics.

Farina said...

Ai,

I borrowed that book from a Chinese Malaysian friend here in Davis. But I think I've seen that book before in MPH so nanti u balik cari kat MPH,Borders mesti ada.I rasa dieorang tak haramkan buku nih kot, at least for now.

zie said...

Even I yang kat Malaysia nie was very surprised on what's goin on. Luckily I am in Penang, krang sikit takutnyer.

Penang lagik la - lagik ramai Chinese than Malay, but we luve happily and in harmony. Takde kes bakar-bakar church nie semua.

I tak paham la mentality depa nie semua. Why do you broyght up the issue in the 1st place. Bukan agama and bangsa - satu issue yang very sensitif and not to be played with.

And Malays pergi bakar Chrurh tu apsal? Nampak sgt berpikiran cetek. Kita hanya attack only when we have been attacked. Sheeeshhh!!

p/s:- entry melepaskan geram....

Farina said...

Zie:

Itulah namanya ikut hati dan perasaan. Allah bagi otak tapi tak pakai.Anyway, hopefully all will be fine and takde orang yang berpikiran cetek nak balas dendam bakar masjid pulak.Lepas geram kat entry takpe,jangan pi lepas geram berdemonstrasi pulak :)

nina said...

farina...
TQ for the wish.masa first check tu, 6 hari sebelum period