Thursday, March 11, 2010

Interesting fact #1

In order to be fully equipped with weapon of knowledge for my big exam, I planned to attend as many seminars as I could possibly related to the field of Immunology. Just so my thinking ability could be stimulated more often :)

Therefore, to sum up the knowledge I gained through all the seminars, I will post interesting fact (which won't be so complicated) in this blog.

So, from my Virology class today, I learnt that :

  • You need 10-40 times of exposure to HIV before you could actually contract the disease ie: if the method of transmission is through sexual contact, you need to have sex for 10-40 times with people who has HIV before you could actually get the disease.
  • The virus is highly efficient in infecting cells during the first few months.But over time, they became unefficient in infecting cells, therefore if you have sexual contact/blood transmission from HIV patient during those first few months, your chance to get HIV is higher than during the later stage. 
  • Women is highly susceptible to HIV than men. Reason? Most probably because women has larger mucosal surface area (ie: VJJ vs penis)
  • The chances to get HIV through fellatio is 1:16. What is fellatio? Oral sex. But the teaching assistant that taught this subject chose to use the word 'b*** job' to explain the meaning. How inappropriate!

2 comments:

masmuni said...

wow really interesting!!!

p.s: hahah VJJ lol I use that too to describe our *dut*

zewt said...

fellatio... so formal :P