Monday, March 1, 2010

Once in every fortnight?

Well, this happened last week.

While I was discussing with Liz (my supervisor) on my research proposal, out of sudden she was laughing out loud looking at the timeline of sample collection for my research.

 
Taken from http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Cats

I was like (dalam hati) "Why the hell is she laughing?"

She asked "What do you mean by once in every fortnight?"

I answered "I would like to collect samples once every 2 weeks after inoculation"

She replied "I bet if you ask 10 Americans out there, no one know what fortnight means. I knew the word because I read Jane Austen's novel, a British novel " And she continued laughing.... hahahahaha

The conclusion of above conversation are :

  1.  I know fortnight could not be used in scientific writing. 
  2.  I was surprised I might know an English word that Americans don't have knowledge of. 
  3.  This British-American English system is making me crazy! It started with spelling the word faeces (British) to feces (American) = tahi (Malay). Diarrhoea (British) to diarrhea (American)= cirit-birit (Malay) and the list goes on and on.Why can't you stick with one spelling? Bontot kan sama putih?
My English instructor who is an Irish once said "You  know what? English is the most difficult language other than Mandarin". So true!

6 comments:

LUTH ^_^ LUNA said...

same thing goes to me..then i realise that in technical writting, whatever we write is not to impress..but to inform people...

Farina said...

Hetty:

I have no intention to impress people pun, I thought using fortnight is a proper english.. hahahaha. I know people use it in conversation, tapi tak tau pun American tak guna perkataan tuh.

h-huda said...

i found it hillarious!tak omputeh sungguh derang neh!
haha.

LUTH ^_^ LUNA said...

actually benda tu jd kt aku..kunun2nya nk guna different terms la..at last my sv bulat besar2 saying that this is not the proper technical terms..so end up using the same word repeatedly.hehe...

Ai de Alice said...

farina,

this is new for me to know. i thought fortnight is an english word, not british english word.. =)

neway, other than spelling, i always ader problem nak ingat camner nk tulis date the american style i pernah kena marah because i accidentally tulis hari dulu before month.

ps: cute shanggattt lah gmbr the laughing cat tue.. =)

Farina said...

Huda:

Hang ajaq tak word tuh kat anak murid hang? Aku ingat aku belajar perkataan tuh time darjah 3 kot.

Hetty :

Tu lah, kita kalau boleh tak nak guna same word repeatedly, well that was what the instructor in my English class. Nampaknye tak applicable untuk scientific writing :)

Ai:

Itulah, I pun ingat macam tuh. But yeah, I noticed many of the Americans pun bila eja some words tak betul, so doesn't mean if English is your native language you will be 100% correct all the time. I pun ada problem dengan tarikh mula2, tapi sebab hari2 I kena tulis tarikh on my cell culture and on my sample etc so tak silap dah :)