Sunday, October 24, 2010

I'm rejecting 100-storey Menara Warisan Merdeka!

I stopped writing about current issues for a while just because from day to day, I kept reading crap, crap and crap about Malaysia. I'm proud of Malaysia, don't get me wrong. In fact, during a conference I attended last week in Tahoe, one of the presenters actually mentioned Malaysia using transgenic mosquitoes to control dengue outbreak. The sense of pride made me feel like I was floating in that conference room, literally ;)

Then, this news about building another tower in Malaysia kept appearing on my FB wall after they announced the Malaysian budget 2011. I was like, "Are you kidding me? Seriously?" Another one? What are we trying to achieve here?  The fame? The Guinness Record? or The road to failure?
I know when Mahathir presented his idea to build the Petronas Twin Tower, everyone was in rage just like what we see now. Although Petronas Twin Tower was a success, merely just because it has Suria KLCC (which is attractive to most Pak Arabs and not to mention, foreign workers), but the vacancy rate was high. Tell me how many empty office spaces in that tower alone. Referring to the tallest tower in the world as in 2010, ie : Burj Al-Arab, their vacancy rate was very high forcing the developer to reduce the rental rate. They were also in massive debt during the construction of this tower when the economic downturn hits the world.

So, tell me who is going to benefit from building this tower? The Malaysian? I'm sure they are gonna hire foreign workers for the construction. Designing the building? If they trust our local architects which was not the case for the Petronas Twin Tower.

During my practical in Sabah several years ago, I was inspired by the breathtaking scenery of Sabah but was taken aback by the poor condition of their roads and the transportation system. To generate more income, they should pay attention to the East Malaysia for tourism destination rather than spending 5 billion dollars of OUR MONEY to build some crap tallest building.

As similar to Akademi Fantasia, every singer needs an X factor to be at the top of the list. Najib wants his X factor but he didn't realize it might bring him to the doomsday of his career. He has to come with his own X-factor, not 'copy-catting' (I don't know whether this word exist or not, hahaha) Mahathir's X-factor. I think he might have to develop something in Johor instead since Singapore has its own Universal Studio and he has to get the tourists visiting Singapore to enter Malaysia as well. But not in the already crowded area of Kuala Lumpur.



3 comments:

OneDropH20 said...

nice point on the Johor part.

Runiza said...

I so agree with you!!

Farina said...

One Drop and Runiza:

Lets just pray the goverment won't continue with the idea :)