Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Scam.. scam.. scam..

I wanted to sublease my apartment cos we are moving out early.

I received an email from a woman from UK saying she is interested and wanted to secure the apartment. I asked her to sent the first month's rent to secure the apartment.

Then, the check didn't came in and at the same time, few people were also interested with my apartment..

Mysteriously, I received another email from another woman in UK, with the similar style of writing and fonts. It came through my UC Davis mailbox and UCD IT put a note below the email, saying this email probably a spam.

Then, I sent a follow-up email to that first woman to verify her status, that is the department she will be working with, the contact number etc. She did not answered my question, instead her father emailed me saying she is a good girl.. Bla.. bla.. bla.. (like I care?)

I asked her for a second time about the department she will be working with and finally she revealed that she will doing a private research and she does not know anybody in Davis.

It has started to sound fishy because she wrote in her first email, she is coming to do summer research in UC Davis . So, I decided to back out before anything gets worse. But, she kind of ignoring my last email, she said the payment will be on the way.

To note: There are scams going around where they will send you a cashier's check exceeding the amount you asked for, and they will ask you to send back the extra using wire-transfer. In the end, you will be responsible for the bad cashier's check because there is no way bank can trace the check from because it is a fake check and you lost your money to the scammer.


This is why I think technology is sometimes bad. In Malaysia, when I wanted to rent out my room, I went to 7 Eleven, pasted a notice and within a week, I would get a new tenant.

Here, you are relying to IT too much. And you cannot differentiate what is right and what is wrong. Everyone speaks the same language!

No comments: