Before I came to the US, I always felt proud of having the title Dr. and always making sure to put it in front of my name when I signed up for official events. I busted my ass for 5 years to earn a vet degree, so I deserved some recognitions huh?
But now, I no longer feel the same when realizing most of the Americans don't really care about title. I call my supervisor by her first name. Often when I emailed the lecturers, I addressed them with their title, initially. Then, quite often they will reply with signing their first name at the bottom of the email. This is American style, and most of the Asians don't really feel comfortable addressing their professors with their first name. And most of the professors originating from Asia still address themselves by their title. This is Eastern culture I presumed.
At first, I don't really care when people not calling me kakak. But because of this one incident, my perception had changed. I had a roommate who was a year younger than me which I insisted not to call me kakak. She had a DVD renting business based in our double occupant room and the problem, she was not home all the time and that left me with no choice other than to help her until one point, I burst out hysterically because I could not study when people kept knocking our door. From that point, I felt people would not respect me unless there are certain barrier such as addressing me in an appropriate way. I hardly say no to people seeking my help and I do not like confronting people, so that is why. If people asking, should I call you kakak? Most of the time I will reply, yes, you should.
I do not know if I will remain this way when I return to Malaysia for good. I do not like feeling distant but I would like to earn some respect as well. As for now,the title Dr. is no longer matter to me, we are all human race and God greatest creation.
2 comments:
writing dedication and acknowledgment are really my favorite part of thesis writing. i can't wait to compose mine!
Aira, I think blogger is screwed up. I know you commented on my other post, not this one. But out of a sudden it moved your comment to here. Weird! Anyway,yeah babe. U are weeks away from graduating. Put up the picture of your thesis please :)
Post a Comment