Sunday, June 10, 2012

Faliela's birthday and the trip to Yosemite!

The only time I can blog at home : when both husband and daughter take their nap ;)
So, lets make this quick!
Faliela's 1st birthday party
We decided to throw a birthday party for Faliela together with our summer BBQ party. Well, technically summer is not until June but it will be too hot by then to hold an outdoor party.
It was not a fancy party. We just threw a simple deco based on the theme color of the party : ORANGE. Adilla helped us with the decoration and she suggested to throw in another color- pink which is actually a very nice combination! Kalau wedding maybe sarat lah, but it is for a kid birthday party, the more the merrier :D
 Orange. I felt like I were in the Netherlands ;p


My anak dara

We ordered the cakes and cupcakes from "Let Them Eat Cake". They actually messed up our order, the cupcakes were supposed to be decorated with orange and pink frosting instead of this, but the cupcakes were delicious though. But we are not going back to that shop ever again.
A custom banner costs about $30. We decided not to spend that much money for a banner that will be put up for one day. So, Adilla used her creativity to make one out of a plastic tablecloth. Hehe.

The guests


Our neighbor enjoying the party while playing lawn ball
The Malaysians



Faliela's cake. We could not get her a number one cake since we ordered just a few days before the party.

I still could not believe she is one ;)

Thank god for Andrew. At least Faliela has a friend at the party. Hehe. She was just 2 weeks at her new daycare so we haven't really know other parents to invite them to the party.

Thank you Sandy for taking all these pictures. I hope you had lots of fun!


The next party for Faliela will not be until she is 5 years old at least. I am on a principle not to pamper my daughter that much. Faliela, jangan mintak mommy buat birthday tiap-tiap tahun okay.
Yosemite National Park
It was quite funny how we end up with the decision to make a trip here. During our flight to New York on our last vacation, we sat beside a drunken old man which was a very nice and chatty guy. Jai memang suka sangat melayan orang sembang-sembang ni so they moved on from one topic to another and another....... (sampai kitorang tak leh tido sebab kena layan dia sembang). He found out we were on vacation and going to Niagara Falls and he asked us whether we have visited Yosemite National Park. Upon finding out we have never been to Yosemite despite the location which is only 4 hours drive from our house, he was flabbergasted sampai satu plane dengar kitorang tak pernah pergi Yosemite. Boleh?
Well, truth speaking, we are not into nature. I am just into big cities ;) But we make it a point after our conversation with that guy to make a quick trip to Yosemite. We are already in California for 4 years and will be leaving for good next year, so better now or never. The best time to visit Yosemite according to that guy is in May, before the Memorial weekend but since I was busy with may labwork and could not go off on Saturday, we decided that the first week of June will be the other best option since I am in the intermission before the next experiment and it is still less crowded compared to the other weeks in summer.
We leave Davis on Friday, stayed a night at Mariposa and the next morning, we headed to Yosemite. Tee, a lecturer from UPM who happened to be here for sabbatical joined our family trip. Nasib baik lah dia ikut, ada kawan Jai buat sembang. Aku kalau masuk kereta drive lama-lama confirm tidur.
 Mariposa Grove
Did a 0.5 mile hike to Grizzly Giant. Thank god I bought this baby carrier from JumpSac Baby Sling for this trip. I love it!

Wildflowers-lovely!


My favorite pic-from Glacier Point

My baby and one of the attractions in Yosemite- the Half Dome


You will be amazed to see people on top of the Dome. It takes about one day to hike until to the top of the Dome.

That is Tee! She worked in Animal Science Dept whom the lecturers have a close relationship with our faculty. We were gossiping about the lecturers that used to teach me when I was in DVM. Hahaha (ada makna).
One of the many falls in Yosemite. This is the Yosemite Waterfall which usually dry out by the end of summer.


Tunnel view of Yosemite Valley, overlooking El Capitan, Half Dome. Muka dah selenga sebab penat :p

We missed going to Tuolomne Meadows since it was already 5pm and we had to drive back for 4 hours. I do not anticipate another trip to Yosemite but who knows kan, tetiba rasa nak buat weekend getaway lagi. But I still love big cities, hehe.
Yosemite National Park, it's a wrap!


Wow, I could not believe I can write a post this long nowadays ;p

7 comments:

shila ariff said...

bila lah aku dapat ke sana ye??..huhuhu...menjelajah negara orang..huhuhu...mimpi di siang hari je lor..huhuhu...

p/s: ko tak percaya faliela dah setahun ye...nanti..pejam celik pejam celik..dah masuk 4 tahun (macam hazim sekarang)..pejam celik pejam celik..dah nak dapat menantu pulak...huhuhu...tua dah kita ni ye...huhuhu....

Runiza said...

Bestnyaaaaaa....!!!!!

Ai said...

Your entry reminds me of two things I did last year - visiting Faliela & Yosemite. I love Yosemite, klu ader peluang, I would do a second trip. I used to think I love big cities, but I changed my preferences after numerous national parks visits. Btw, last year I missed the wildflower wpun pegi in first week of June (like you) because it was still snowing few days before that.

Btw, nice seeing your updates, esp with photos of you & the family.

yang terlalu kacak said...

eh, parti tu tiada kambing ke?

And I almost could not recognize Feiyian in that pic...she is thinner, again. but I bet she still has more muscles than that guy beside her.

Yosemite is too nice to miss. Glad you guys made it. I didn't know that you haven't been there.
And the Redwoods just around San Francisco, it's very close by too. you guys should go.

One place that I never got to go, though I really wanted to, was Crater Lake. It's in the middle of nowhere, between SF and Portland. Too susah to go. You can try, but I think you would probably prefer to just go Portland (again).

So, has Tee completed her research yet? hahahaha.

btw, I use watsapp now. Just did it with Jai that day.

Farina said...

Shila: Tengok Hazim hari tuh pun aku dah tak caya dia dah besar leh makan sendiri semua. Hehe. Lepas nih nak dapat menantu dah? OMG, dah kena plan tema wedding la by now kan. Hahaha, mak pulak yang lebih excited.

K.Runiza: Best, tapi lagi best tgk gambar2 akak travel kat Europe. Hehe.

Ai: I think there's jinx with the days around Memorial Weekend dengan California's weather. This year we had cold front during that same period, luckily tak pergi Yosemite during that weekend. I saw your Yosemite's post, there's traces of snow in your Glacier Point pic. Time kitorang pergi dah takde, so gambar cam nampak barren sket. Yelah, this year's winter pun milder je.

I think if I want to go for nature holiday- I will opt for beaches than national park, but beaches sini tak best :(

Farina said...

YH:

Fei Yian heartbroken, that's why kurus.

Crater Lake!!!! Yeah, that is in my list too. I saw pictures of Crater Lake in AAA magazine, ever since that I could not stop thinking about that place. Wanna go tapi tak tahu bila :( But it is not that far away from us, about 6.5 hrs drive from Davis.

Tee and research? Hahaha. She said she will be starting her work next month.

He told me the other day. I have your name in my whatsapp list already. Eh, you got yourself a smartphone finally?

Ayu said...

Happy b'day Faliela! Makin hari makin anggun anak mommy nih.. :) Best tgk gambar2 kat Yosemite tuh. Nasib baik ko pergi nyah, boleh aku tumpang sekaki. Hehe